Great British Beef Steak Sandwich
To celebrate Great British Beef Week why not try this amazing Steak Sandwich recipe – try it with our amazing Sirloin Steak Offer 2 for £10. Check out our Special Offers page.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: Under 10 minutes
4 thin cut beef steaks
Salt and pepper
2 tsp English mustard
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
For the caramelised onions and mushrooms
1 medium onion peeled and finely sliced
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
For the Spicy Relish
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce or similar
2 tbsp reduced calorie mayonnaise
4 small baguettes/ ciabatta rolls warmed
Salad leaves to garnish
- Remove the steaks from the fridge at least 20 mins before cooking.
- Transfer the steaks to a plate, brush with seasoning on both sides, season and brush with mustard. Cover and leave to one side.
- To cook the caramelised vegetables, heat the remaining oil in a large non-stick pan and cook the onions and mushrooms for 5 minutes under a low heat until soft. Add the sugar and balsamic vinegar. Cook for a further 5 minutes until caramelised. Remove from the heat and transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Meanwhile, prepare the relish. In a small bowl mix all the ingredients together and set aside.
- Return the same pan to the hob and heat until hot. Cook the steaks for 2-3 minutes on each side (for medium). Slice thinly on the diagonal.
- Cut the bread in half and spread with the relish, add some salad leaves, cucumber and tomatoes. Top with the steak, caramelised vegetables and more relish.
- Pop the other piece of bread on top, press down lightly cut in half and serve with fries or potato wedges.